The incentive for a dance may come from a request by the Rector or Organist/Choir Master. It may also come from an inspiration of the Director.
The choreography itself comes from Mary Alice, often with input from the dancers.
The work of preparing a dance involves the following steps:
- Selecting music with help from the Organist/Choir Master (Occasionally spoken scripture is used like music.)
- Making a tape or CD of the music or spoken words
- Deciding how many dancers are needed and finding out who is available to dance
- Rehearsing the dances four or more times
- Making costumes, often using items gathered over the years
- Rehearsing the dance with organ, piano, choir (if it is singing the piece)
- Presenting the dance on Sunday morning!